Monday 18 July 2011

Making Mozzerella.....

Believe me, once you have tried home made Mozzarella you won't want to go back to store bought stuff, it is THAT good. It isn't quite as easy as the ricotta and I have had a couple of times where it hasn't turned out right but I think that was down to a, forgetting to sterilising everything and b, using tap water instead of bottled water. Now, sterilising... my method which has worked up to now is to put the tools in the saucepan, fill with water and bring to the boil for a couple of minutes and then pour the boiling water into the heatproof bowl. Probably not the best way to do it but it works for me!

When you add the cheese salt you can add herbs or anything else you fancy instead, it will keep for up to a week (not in this house!) and you can use the whey for boiling pasta, making bread, soup stock etc. The whey has all the good stuff in it so it is a shame to chuck it out. 

The last important thing is that you MUST use pasteurised milk, if you don't your cheese making is doomed from the start.

I have done this one as a PDF, I could tell you that I was thinking of you as it is easier to have a printable recipe is it not? But the truth of the matter is that I am on a mission to learn and test drive new software and I wanted to see how like iwork before I buy it.

I love you all, so I would like to know whether you prefer tutorials to be printable, what do you think?
Mozzarella Recipe


4 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued. Where does one purchase rennet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. compliment .. really is not easy to make mozzarella at home Simmy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tanya, I got mine from Urban Cheese Craft on Etsy but I bought it in a kit. The rennet tablets look like headache tablets so I hoping to find somewhere more local when I run out
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/UrbanCheesecraft

    Simmy - it isn't that hard, really! I was surprised how easy it was, twice I have screwed up, once because I forgot to sterilise everything and the other time I chanced it with tap water - fail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the tutorial with the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!
I love hearing from you and if you haven't joined us in Moms That Rock, come on over!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/momsthatrock/

Pin It button on image hover